Why I Hate My Berkeley Ergonomics Mattress

For me it's a failure in comfort, durability, & design. 

1. It's HOT even though the salesman told me it would not be. I think the very thick quilting and large amount of wool are the cause.

2. When I sit on the edge, I sink. Maybe because there is little to no support on the sides or because there are no layers of material under tension providing strength and durability, (like in most mattresses)?

3. It does not seem durable at all. For example, I could never let a child jump up and down on it like when we were kids. It is far too fragile. Maybe because it is just 2" of latex laying loosely on the coils. I feel like I have to 'baby it' this bed.

4. Because there is no 'tension' in the mattress layers like most beds, this bed seems very "loosy-goosy".  It seems mushy, worn out, and 'sad' after having it only a short time.

5. I don't think 2" of latex is enough to just lay loosely over springs. It reminds me of something you would get at Ikea. Very simple and minimal with no frills. I think the lack of "tension" [that would normally be present in a mattress] bothers me about this bed. It just feels mushy.

6. The very thick quilted cover totally diminishes the feel of the latex. I can't feel the bouncy, rubbery, supportive sensation that latex provides. My next bed I want a thin very stretchy cover with no quilting

7. The thick wool filled quilting matted down very quickly. Other beds usually have a little foam in their quilting so it remains voluminous and puffy for years, but my Berkeley Ergonomics quilting does not contain any foam so it does not spring back like other mattresses I have had and liked.

8. For some reason the sides sag. I have wondered if they accidentally made the exterior too large because its seems to large for the contents. It seems so loosy-goosy. Maybe if I were to add another slab of latex, it might give the mattress the strength and stability it appears to be lacking. 

9.The Talalay Latex broke down real fast.  I found cracks in it within a few months of having it.  If I try and handle it, it cracks easily. If I am not very careful & mindful of supporting it every few inches I think it will crack in two pieces.  If I grab it too firmly, my fingers will go right through it. I am now told this is typical with Talalay Latex.  Next time I want Dunlap. 

10. The mattresses exterior cover isn't even an "organic cover" even though the salesman said the mattress was "all organic".

11. There are 23 chemicals in the latex. 22 deemed "moderately problematic, but acceptable for  use" and one chemical deemed 'unknown'. See the two page Material Health Certificate below or by clicking here.

12. The salesman advised that due to the zipper, "its the last mattress you will have to buy" and years later still makes this claim on his web site even though Berkeley Ergonomics recommends replacement in 10 years.  


Important; I am not nor have I ever been in the mattress industry. I do not have an allegiance to any mattress firm, nor am I paid for my views. My opinions and views are based on my own consumer experience with my Berkeley Ergonomics mattress, the Berkeley Ergonomics dealers, and Berkeley Ergonomics themselves in Ontario Calif.

Berkeley Ergonomics sometimes claims that I am a competitor or paid by a competitor but this is just another misrepresentation. They just do not want to list the Polypropylene along with all the other components...that is the bottom line.